Pages

Miley Cyrus dancer speaks out on VMAs performance

One of Miley Cyrus' bear dancers was left feeling "less than human" after taking the stage with the 20-year-old singer at the MTV Video Music Awards.

The singer’s rendition of ‘We Can’t Stop’ took a turn for the raunchier when she stripped down to a nude ensemble.
The singer’s rendition of ‘We Can’t Stop’ took a turn for the raunchier when she stripped down to a nude ensemble
.

Cyrus' performance with Robin Thicke was highly criticized for its salacious display and Hollis Jane, who called herself “a little person” that danced as one of the human stuffed animals, spoke about what the show was like from her point of view.

"I had never been in a performance where I was purely meant to be gawked or laughed at. I will never forget that performance because it is what forced me to draw my personal line in the sand," she wrote on her personal blog.

"After our first dress rehearsal in the costumes with the crew, publicists, performers etc watching us, I walked out of the Barclay Center shaking and crying. Thankfully, my best friends, Kelly and Kerri, happened to be NYC to visit me."

"They were waiting for me and I walked up to them and broke down. I love being the center of attention, but that was something different. I was being stared and laughed at for all of the wrong reasons. I was being looked at as a prop…as something less than human."

"When I did the VMAs, I did feel like that," the 24-year-old continued.

“For the first time I felt truly ashamed of being a little person. We were being used simply because we were little. It felt like society still saw us as a joke, despite the fact there is literally nothing different about me other than the fact I am small."

Jane also said that she was asked to join Cyrus' tour but declined the offer.

"I wondered if it was worth feeling less than human again. And frankly, it wasn't," she explained of her decision.

Cyrus appeared on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Friday and said that everyone involved was aware of what was going to go down on stage that night.

"Everyone there knew except maybe some other people in the audience," Cyrus told the daytime host when she asked if everyone knew what was going to happen from rehearsals.

"I saw a lot faces that were kind of like… (does a shocked face) Should we be laughing at this? Is this supposed to be funny… It was supposed to be funny…it was supposed to be funny somewhat, obviously."

Mahabubur Rahaman

Interested in eCommerce, Marketing, Social Engineering, Serial Entrepreneur, UX, Music, Blog. Writer at @Techinasia @Medium and http://wjarman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment